Sunday 17 April 2011

Fantasy: My One Love ;)

Ahhhh...fantasy! Thou art a heartful hero! Pitted against its heartless arch enemy: Fact and Satire! Who will strive to fulfill the goal of luring the reader into its written clutches? Post your opinion on who you believe will win the fitting duel. This is narrator, signing off!

Fantasy, fantasy, fantasy. Oh how I love you so. If there wasnt fiction to guide me from the reality, I would be the same boring self. Fantasy drifts me on a magic carpet ride to anywhere I want. If I was to write a novel, I would want my plot farthest from reality than I can get.  I'm not saying that reality is a terrible place, it just gets boring. I'm getting bored just blogging about it. My childhood was wrapped around the premise of the Harry Potter and Eragon series. I love the fictional universes where anything is possible. Satirical novels that we read this year take place in a fictional universe, but are very close-minded. They create very good settings and plot at the beginning but then drift nowhere. Some to little character development, if you take away 1984's horrible ending. It pretty much stays the same throughout. That is not what my novel's are about. SH5 does a better job of being outside of the box but it seems too real for me. Ya know, besides the unstuck in time part.

My novel would have, of course, the hero, the villain, and the damsel in distress; twists and turns that keep the reader focused and a bit of comedy. Humor is definitely needed in an action packed novel. Not so much as Rush Hour, but an adequate amount to keep it serious. I'm thinking off the top of my head, but a good setting for the novel would be medieval. Yeah, ya can't go wrong with the middle ages. Gypsies, dragons and knights, O MY! The plot would be difficult to decipher at the moment, but I was thinking maybe the son of the king taken by the villain of some sort, and trained to fight on the villain's command to take over the kingdom, but at the same time, trying to regain his own sanity.

Again, it is hard to think of something for a plot in a minimal amount of time (and with so many paths to take), and it might change substantially, but all I'm saying is that if your writing a novel that will lure your readers into wanting more on every page, write a fantasy novel. Pshhhh, fact, give me a break!

And so fantasy has conquered the mighty fact and satire!
So it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment